We have an endless choice of pooch-friendly places to visit in the Lake District that both you and your four-legged friends will enjoy. We are often asked for dog friendly information from our guests.
A few Staff Favourites
– Trails and streams galore! See more about Whinlatter Forest here
, which includes information on where to stay and eat with your dog within no more than a few mile radius of Whinlatter. Dogs are most welcome in the café.
– Miles upon miles of waymarked trails perfect for exercising your dog, whilst exploring the beauty of the outdoors. Grizedale do have a dog code of conduct which you can view here
Aira Force Waterfall
– Just one of the many wonderful waterfalls you can enjoy in the Lake District with glorious surrounding walks. The Aira Force Waterfall
is a National Trust managed site, and dogs must be kept under control.
Rydal Mount & Gardens
- Beautiful location and former home of Poet Laureate, William Wordsworth. Dogs aren’t allowed in the house but are welcome in the grounds if on a lead. See more information about Rydal Mount here
Fell Foot Park
– Plenty of space for your dogs to run around, and perfect for a family day out with an adventure park for children. Fell Foot
is a short distance away from Newby Bridge Hotel, part of the South Lakes Hotels group.
Walney Island – A dog-friendly secluded, unspoilt beach near Barrow in Furness.
Of course it’s not only dog owners that love the Lakes, please look out for cyclists, runners and horse riders. they can frighten your dog – or your dog could frighten them! It is best to keep your dog on a lead whilst passing them.
– pets can travel at the sole discretion of the driver. Guide dogs and assistance dogs are allowed at all times.
Dining with your Dog
If you’re out and about, many of the traditional inns throughout the Lakes are incredibly dog-friendly, serving traditional local fare, with a log fire for your dog to warm his paws in front of after a long walk.
We welcome dogs in all of our South Lakes Hotels – Riverside Hotel, Newby Bridge Hotel, Damson Dene Hotel and Cuckoo Brow Inn.