Looking for adventure? Look no further than the Lake District. The Lake District is home to England’s highest mountain Scafell Pike and the deepest lake, Wastwater. We haven’t even touched on the plethora of outdoor activities available in the Lake District. Year round access to outdoor activities is one of the many benefits.
Whether you are after fun, leisure, adrenalin or personal challenges, the Lakes have something for everyone, inculding:
- rock climbing/scrambling
- abseiling/mega abseiling
- caving expeditions
- sky diving, orienteering
- 4 x 4 off road adventures
- tree top adventures and zip-lining
- water skiing
- wake boarding
- paddle boarding
Why go climbing in the Lake District?
The Lake District is the home of rock climbing with the first ascent being made here by W.P. Haskett Smith in 1886 when he climbed Napes Needle, Wasdale. There is enough outdoor climbing in the Lake District that you are generally the only people at the crag. Cumbria is home to both gentle scrambles and challenging climbs.
Where to go rock climbing in the Lake District
- Kendal Climbing Wall – All weather climbing and bouldering walls to suit all ages and abilities -
- King Kong Climbing Centre - Brand new climbing centre in the heart of Keswick, with an indoor ice wall, children’s play area. They also run a range of indoor and outdoor activities, to suit all abilities
- Outdoor rock climbing
- For beginners looking to try their hand at outdoor rock climbing, Climb 365 is based in the Lake District and caters for all levels of ability from the complete novice trying rock climbing or scrambling for the first time, to the experienced mountaineer wanting to learn to lead in winter. They take children as young as 6, and adults as old as 70!
- The Fell & Rock CLimbing Club is a useful site for anyone looking for a climbing guide for the Lakeland and outlying crags. It is updated weekly with new routes, comments and useful views from other climbers
Skydiving in the Lake District
Abseiling/Mega Abseiling in the Lakes
- River Deep Mountain High offering abseiling sessions, ranging from beginner to intermediate, a couple of hours to a whole day out on the rock face.
- Crags Adventures, offer mountaineering days, and hen/stag days out!
- West Lakes Adventure, based in Eskdale offer abseiling activities for individuals, couples, families and groups.