The Lake District is without a doubt one of the best places to visit as a family. There is something for everyone - young, old, energetic, adventurous or for those wanting a quiet break away from it all.
Walks for all
We’re aware that cost can be a big consideration for family days out so what better than a family walk. Get your hotel to prepare you a packed lunch for the day so you’re not caught short and set off for the hills (or the lakes if you prefer something a little flatter!).
Some great walks that are not too long for little legs:
- Scout Scar near Kendal - see for miles and miles from the sea to the mountains!
- Elterwater to Skelwith Bridge in the Langdales - waterfalls, woods and refreshments at either end of the walk.
- Tarn Hows near Coniston - a circular walk round a beautiful tarn with views of mountains beyond and lots of woods to play in.
- Gummers How by Lake Windermere – a short climb to the top for a fantastic view.
- Cathedral Cavern in Little Langdale – a longer walk but great caves to explore and sparkly stones to collect along the way.
Wet Weather attractions
Granted, our weather can be a little inclement at times! Guests staying at South Lakes Hotels benefit from unlimited use of the indoor pools, which is always popular with the children. Here’s a selection of the many indoor attractions around the county.
- Quaker Tapestry: this award winning Quaker Tapestry inspires all those who visit, you’ll be amazed, if you are thinking dark, dusty and dull - think again! www.quaker-tapestry.co.uk
- World of Beatrix Potter: for younger children www.hop-skip-jump.com
- Lakes Aquarium: www.lakesaquarium.co.uk
- Lakeland Motor Museum: www.lakelandmotormuseum.co.uk
- Lakeland Climbing Centre: will be great for all ages www.kendalwall.co.uk
- Rheged: some good events on all year round, worth the drive from South Lakes www.rheged.com/events
- Zero Gravity: a room full of trampolines, what’s not to like? www.zerogravitytrampolinepark.co.uk
- Keswick Illusion place www.puzzlingplace.co.uk
A little adventure
- Brockhole: adventure playground and tree top experience www.brockhole.co.uk
- Greenlands Farm: great for younger children greenlandsfarmvillage.co.uk
- Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway: a nice way to get to Lakes Aquarium and/or Cruise www.lakesiderailway.co.uk
- Cruise on Windermere: www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk
- Wray Castle: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wray-castle
- Go Ape: Minimum age may be 10 goape.co.uk